Search the Web

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wash your fabric - PLEASE!!!

Ok, here I am, hand-stitching a queen-size quilt for a customer. I settled on a pattern, carefully marked it lightly with a water-soluble quilt marker, and have spent a month doing one area completely. It's complex pattern of intertwining ribbons, done in white thread on the white background fabric. It's meant to highlight the appliquéd ribbons she has in a much larger scale twining their way around the quilt.

Flushed with success, I happily dampened my facecloth and proceeded to carefully wipe away the marks so I could enjoy looking at the completed section.

And then I saw it - pink, bleeding into the white background fabric. Her sashing - in dark pink - she didn't wash the fabric before putting it on her quilt.

Oh, great.

Ahem. Attention, anybody who quilts.

Wash your fabric before using it. No matter HOW eager you are to get started, or finished. No matter how much of a hurry you're in, how close the deadline looms. If you're too tired to wash your fabric, go to bed and pick up your quilting the next time.

And if anybody out there knows what I should do now, I'd be very pleased to hear from you!

No comments: